You may expect 10-14 days delivery for most orders…
A Bit about Holly’s Reeds…
- At Reeds by Holly, all my oboe and English horn reeds are made by me personally and guaranteed to arrive without damage, air leaks, or cracks.
- I work alone and do not use profiling machines, so the necessary waiting period for delivery ensures you get my best effort in crafting a reed for you.
- My reeds are scraped most closely to the “Philadelphia school” of tone production.
- I go for a dark center with as much color layered on top as possible and with the ability to relax the lips and blow down into the pitch.
- The tip opening is the foundation of the reed’s pitch center. I like my reeds with a smaller tip opening. If you like big tip openings, you might not like my reeds, and trying to pinch open the tip will just make them play flat.
- Except for reeds specifically built for young and intermediate players, my reeds tend to be (perhaps) a little resistant, as I leave all the “meat on the bones.” A few light scrapes to either side of the blend will noticeably lighten up the reed without destroying balance and pitch stability.
A Bit about Holly …
- I hold a B.M.Ed. and a M.M. in oboe and English horn performance from East Texas State University, Commerce, Texas (now Texas A&M-Commerce).
- My earliest training at 9 years of age was on guitar, and my undergraduate studies emphasized classical saxophone performance.
- While earning my M.M., I began a mentorship with Stephen Lickman, then principal English Hornist in the Dallas Symphony. At his desk, I saw very good reeds for the first time. He taught me the Philadelphia sound and the long American scrape.
- I have taught oboe, English horn, double-reed making and saxophone to students ranging from sixth graders to doctoral students.
- I have prepared students for auditions, coached recitals, performed solo recitals, played in chamber ensembles and regional symphonies throughout Northeast Texas.
- I have taught a bustling private studio, and then retired to take care of chronically ill family members.
- Now, I’ve returned after almost two decades of mothballed skills. It is a challenge, but I find I’m exhilarated by it!